1. In 2009, Latinos accounted for 20% of all new HIV infection rates in the U.S. This is three times more than the percent for Whites.
2. In 2009, Latino men who have sex with men accounted for 81% among all Latino men and 20% among all men who have sex with men. Among these Latino men, 45% of new HIV infections occurred in those under age 30.
3. HIV was the fourth leading cause of death among Latinos aged 35–44 and the sixth leading cause of death among Latinos aged 25–34 in the US.
4. THREE PEOPLE CONTRACT HIV EVERY DAY IN ATLANTA
5. 50 PEOPLE DIE EVERY DAY FROM AIDS
In no way do I push for abstinence among our people. I personally don’t care if people abstain or engage- your body, your choice. Sexual urges are inevitable and exploration and engaging in sexuality is a part of being human. HOWEVER, safety is a must. We need access to testing centers so we don’t spread this vicious disease. We need compassionate doctors who take the time to explain HIV/AIDS and risk factors to their patients. We need comprehensive education in our schools so youth who are having sex can protect themselves and don’t end their lives before it’s even begun. Youth need access to condoms without being shamed and embarrassed. Parents need to man up and stop being afraid to talk to their children about safe sex, because sexual stigmas and ignorance often form within our cultures and families. Most importantly, we need to take our health into our own hands! No one will save us but ourselves...like I said before- your body, your choice. No matter what your stance is on sex, religion, or politics, life is worth living. Wake up people. It just got real.