SIKE! JUST KIDDING! This recent government shutdown has me thinking otherwise.
I have several friends and family members that have been severely affected by the recent shutdown. Millions of workers are without money until Congress decides to come to a decision. Though they may be reimbursed for their furlough, they need their money NOW! Well what in the hell are they supposed to do in the mean time?
That brings me to my point- I’ve always been commended on how good I am with managing my money (pats self on back) however, this issue has really made me reevaluate my saving and spending habits. Even if I land a great government job (fingers and legs crossed *clears throat), I don’t want to be a broke government working fool in the event of another furlough. Here are some things I do on a regular basis to save and manage my money:
1. COOK! The average cost/person at a restaurant in $10-15 dollars + tip. You can feed a family of four a fresh healthy meal for $10 or less!
2. Plan your meals, figure out what you need to buy at the grocery store and don’t go back!
3. Don’t drive unless you have to and carpool when possible. Also, fill up your gas tank in the morning (before 7:00 am) or in the late evening. The gas particles are condensed then so you actually get more bang for your buck.
4. Create a monthly budget and stick to it. Be realistic!
5. Learn (no, for real) the difference between a need and a want
These are just a few things I do to skimp on expenses when I am in a bind. What are some things you do? Please share!
In case you’ve been under a rock since September, here is a link to quick facts about the government shutdown